Many homeowners hope to save money by doing certain things themselves, but sometimes there are risks involved that can outweigh any potential cost savings. Carpet cleaning is a perfect example. Carpet cleaning may appear to be a rather straightforward task, but it actually requires a high degree of knowledge, skill and experience to perform correctly.
After all, your carpet represents a sizeable investment. Unless the cleaning is performed by an experienced professional, the carpet could sustain permanent damage to its color, texture, and/or structural integrity. And depending on the extent of the damage, you may need to have part or all of the carpet replaced.
So even if you consider yourself an avid do-it-yourselfer, it is important to recognize the risks associated with DIY carpet care. Below are five of the most prevalent concerns…
- Using Improper Equipment – Many of the carpet cleaning machines available for homeowners to rent or purchase are simply not powerful enough to do a proper deep cleaning. Unlike a commercial machine, a homeowner-grade machine is designed for portability rather than power. Hence, it cannot generate the water pressure, heat, or extraction power necessary to clean and refresh the carpet as thoroughly as professional-grade equipment. Also, beware of any device that forcibly rotates against your carpet – such as a brush or bonnet. These types of machines may actually damage and distort the carpet fibers, causing the carpet to appear prematurely worn or “frizzed out.” Basically, if the machine is not certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Seal of approval program, then don’t even consider using it on your carpet.
- Lacking Necessary Experience – Not all carpet fibers are the same, not all stains are the same, and not all cleaning techniques are the same. What may work miracles on some carpets may discolor or destroy other types of carpets. Carpet cleaning is both a science and an art. So without the proper training and experience, it is relatively easy to make stains worse, bleach the fibers, alter the color, fray the nap, delaminate the backing, or permanently harm the carpet in many other ways. Let’s face it, you really can’t afford to undergo a trial and error process on your home’s carpet. It is always better to hire a specialized expert to ensure your carpet is cleaned in the most effective and expedient manner.
- Applying Too Much Cleaning Agent – One of the most prevalent issues with DIY carpet cleaning is using too much of the cleaning agent, be it a shampoo, detergent or chemical. It is very common for do-it-yourself carpet cleaners to use a soap concentration stronger than is recommended and/or to continually disperse more cleaner into the carpet in an attempt to remove additional soil. Unfortunately, applying an exaggerated amount of cleaning solution does not improve its performance. It actually just makes the removal of the cleaner that much more difficult. And the more shampoo or cleaner left behind in the carpet fibers, the more sticky residue there will be to attract new dirt and accelerate the re-soiling process.
- Soaking the Carpet with Moisture – Another common concern with DIY carpet cleaning is using too much water to rinse the cleaning agent from the carpet fibers. Since the fibers cannot hold very much moisture, the bulk of the rinse goes straight through the carpet and into the pad beneath it. Saturating the carpet will not only prolong its drying time, it can also lead to challenging problems. For example, if moisture is allowed to penetrate through the carpet and into the pad, deep stains can wick upward as the carpet dries. Also, mold, mildew, and bacteria can begin to grow relatively quickly in a damp carpet pad.
- Voiding the Carpet Warranty – Most carpet manufacturers would prefer you hire a professional carpet cleaning company rather than do the job yourself. This is because cleaning the carpet improperly could negatively affect your warranty. For example, carpets treated with stain guard technology must be cleaned with products specially formulated for this purpose. Otherwise, the stain resistance will be impaired and the warranty voided. Likewise, using cleaning solutions or spot treatments that contain bleaches or brighteners can discolor the carpet and invalidate the warranty. Even certain types of cleaning equipment and techniques can nullify warranty coverage.
At Zerorez Atlanta, we share your goal of restoring your carpet to the best condition possible. So if you are unsure of your ability to clean it correctly, just get in touch with us and we will be happy to perform a thorough cleaning for you.
Furthermore, all our technicians are licensed and experienced specialists who know the proper methods for treating and removing all types of stains from all types of carpets. Plus, our patented cleaning method is very fast-drying and will leave your entire carpet clean, soft and residue-free.
Do-it-yourself carpet cleaning may seem like an economical choice, but is not as safe or effective as a professional deep cleaning. Don’t risk causing harm to your carpet! Give the professionals at Zerorez Atlanta a call today at (770) 242-1313, or simply click here to schedule an appointment. We guarantee you will be extremely pleased with the results.